Friday, May 2, 2008

"Simon is the New Chuck/Sea World is the New Fiesta Texas" or "The Curse of the Sea Lion"

I hate sea lions. Okay, I don't. But they really have made my life stressful this week. We've pursued this stupid story for days and keep getting the runaround. The first day, Sea World ignored our calls, so the story -- which was supposed to be in my show, died sometime Thursday afternoon before showtime. TODAY, they delivered a disc of an interview they did themselves (totally not protocol). Well, the disc had corrupted files. So we had to drive to Sea World to get another disc. We shot some more video and planned to do a liveshot at 5pm, but then, our editor in our live truck broke. THEN, Sea World made us move our live truck 10 minutes before my show and right in the middle of the edit crisis. I floated the story further and further down the newscast until I finally had to kill it and tease that we will have it for 6pm. After all that, Sea World decided we couldn't go live from their property (for whatever reason) and so we have a lame anchor read vob that is running at 6pm -- no package, no liveshot. LAME.

This is why Simon is the new "no-luck Chuck" and Sea World is the new Fiesta Texas.
Calgon! TGIF.

2 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

What happened to freedom of the press? I demand a recount! Free the sea lion!!!

Ok I so didn't understand any of the no-luck chuck and fiesta texas jargon, but i think there is some investigative reporting that needs to be had. Call Steve L. and get to the bottom of this.

Julie said...

Steve L? Now I'm confused. Yeah -- sorry- I realize that blog is kind of inside baseball. No-luck Chuck refers to one of our reporters, Charles who had a streak of bad luck with stories falling through, so I gave him that nickname. The Fiesta Texas reference is because their PR people are jerks and are soooo unhelpful.