Thursday, May 22, 2008

Five Guys and an Intern

I was witness to a hilarious phenomenon this morning at work. Imagine if you will an all-male parochial boarding school where the hormonal teen boys rarely get to interact with hormonal teen girls. Then one day, the head cheerleader from a public school visits their campus. Each of the boys climbs over the other ones for the chance to talk to her, each working hard to impress her so that maybe he will be the one that she chooses.

Now imagine these boys are actually in their early 20's and the "cheerleader" is actually a college student who is just starting her internship at the station where they work. This is the real-life scenario I witnessed today. I saw these men (boys) flirt shamelessly with an intern who was playing them all like a fiddle. Here is a look at the men vying for her attention:

Danny the Intern:
(Yes, he's trying to wink in this picture)
Pro:
They are the same age and have more things in common since they are both college students.
Con:
He's competing with older guys who have jobs where they actually get paid.

Julie to Danny: "There are plenty of interns to choose from, Danny. You don't have to fight over just one. What about the blonde at the assignments desk?"

Danny: "I already tried. She wasn't having any of it."

Trevor: Pro:
Trevor may have intrigued her by staying out of the fray early on. He played it cool. (Also, he was the only one who actually knew her name.)
Con:
He caved as soon as she approached him and struck up a conversation. His cool facade faded and he gushed like a schoolboy.


Levi:

Pro:
Levi is also a college student. He loves to cook. He can bring her a ridiculously large sandwich on a loaf of french bread in his giant cooler, or even grill something up on his Foreman grill which he sometimes brings to work when he's craving a fresh-cooked steak.
Con:
He constantly tells the most intolerably corny jokes.


Phil:
Pro:
Phil is hilarious and endearingly dorky. He was valedictorian, Prom King, Student Council President, and voted Best Looking AND Most Likely to Succeed at his high school.
Con:
Phil has a girlfriend and shouldn't be flirting with the intern anyway. Oh, and he was homeschooled.


Mario (Who is married and therefore DQ'd):

Pro:
Mario has a lot of experience dating interns. (His wife is a former KSAT intern.) He is very funny and she probably looks to him as a father-figure.
Con:
Mario is married. He's old and she probably looks to him as a father-figure.

Now, some of these guys may think I'm a hater just because I'm old and the cute, young boys don't flirt with me at work. I'm not hatin'. I'm enjoying the entertainment. And I'm considering this an internship of sorts for me. I think this intern could teach me a thing or two about flirting. She is the master and she has all of these guys wrapped around her finger.

So who will win the intern's heart? I'll keep you posted on how the drama unfolds.

16 comments:

Buxton Family said...

At least work will be a little extra exciting for a few months! I want to see a picture of the girl also. Is she really all that?

Nicole said...

Man, am I a GREAT photographer, or what?

J to the G - you left out the fact that I told these manboys to flirt with the camera like they flirted with the intern. If I saw dudes like THAT coming my way, well, I'd probably just turn and walk away.

Bernice said...

Julie... I'm with you... this girl could teach us all a thing or two about the art of flirting... AND, just for what it's worth, I'm putting my money on Levi. I think he's going to surprise us all.

Unknown said...

It's true. Food is the way to woman's heart... or is that a man's heart? I get confused. I'm hungry.

But seriously, I spotted the Danny/blonde intern action yesterday. SCHWING!

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

I'm obviously not in the newsroom, but I'm on the Levi-train. He cooks. And he puts effort into his craft. That's enough for me. Putting effort in to anything domestic means he might put effort into other things - and that is very important.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if she likes really old men? I don't suppose it really matters...I have no game. Post of picture of this chick, JGill!!

Tobi said...

I love the pictures of the potential man canidates. I agree that they all look slightly cheesy. I'm voting for Levi cause he can cook and cause I think corny jokes are the way to a woman's heart.

Nicole said...

Even Del Monte wouldn't like Levi's kind of corn. It's not even good enough to be store brand.

Adam said...

I would like to throw my name in to the hat. Even though I haven't seen her yet.

Julie said...

Of course I can't post a picture of this girl!!!! That would be way creepy and inappropriate. One of my managers already suggested that this posting needs to be deleted because too many coworkers are buzzing about it. So workmates, be cool and don't go blabbing your mouths ESPECIALLY to the intern!!!

Nicole said...

BTW...that is the BEST picture of Mario!

Filburt said...

Let it be said that the girlfriend does exclude me from said competition. But if I had to put money on some one it would be Levi, or Trevor or Danny. Mario, let's face it, just doesn't have what it takes!

Julie said...

1) Danny wants me to mention that he does get a small stipend. He feels like he's not getting votes because I said he's not getting paid.
2) Stop with the Levi votes. Just stop.

Joe said...

So what you're saying is Danny could take her out for the Wendy's dollar menu?

As fantastic as Levi's picture is (and honestly, Nicole, that Del Monte reference is Levi-esque), I think Danny's going to have to get the vote.

Anybody who can wear a green shirt with purple stripes is much more confident in himself than I am.

Julie said...

Joe is referring to a Polo that Danny is wearing today. I quite fancy it. I think it looks great!

The Dragonfly said...

Levi. That's my vote. Sorry to you others.