Friday, May 16, 2008

Falafel- Is that Turtle?

So there we were, waiting in line at a local Greek restaurant deciding what we wanted for lunch. My friend, Mario and I were both thinking we wanted to branch out from our usual orders. So I was considering the falafel. I've had it before, but I couldn't remember if I liked it. Right then, a restaurant employee (probably in his 40's) walked past us so I stopped him to ask him for a recommendation. What follows is our actual conversation:

Me: I'm thinking about the falafel. I know I've had it before, but I can't remember ... what is it made of? Is that chickpeas?
Employee: Uh, nah ... um I think it's turtle.
Me: BAH HAH .. TURTLE?
Employee (starting to blush and looking a little embarrassed by my outburst): umm .. not turtle, but something like that.
Me (realizing he's DEAD serious and feeling a little bad that I've embarrassed him): Oh, okay. Thanks.

True story. I can't stop giggling about it. We ordered it anyway and yes, it IS made out of chickpeas- not turtle. To our relief the employee turned out to be a busboy and not a cook.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I heard turtle tastes like chick peas.

No?

Tobi said...

Was it good though? It looks quite tasty even if it was turtle.

Hil said...

Yikes! I'm always game for a gyro. :)

Debbie said...

That's hilarious! I've had Falafel before, but I can't remember either if I liked it or not. I'm sure it's made of chick peas though. So did you like it?

Julie said...

That picture was something I found on the Internet. My actual falafel gyro didn't look quite like that (not as deep fried). It was good. But I like the chicken gyro better.