Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Strange Sea Lion Encounter

Yep, that's a SEA LION on the back of that truck! I encountered this on my drive home from work today. I noticed a big ol' truck pull out of the airport. Then a white pickup truck darted out behind it (right in front of traffic, I might add). I was curious who would be so bold (jerky), so I drove up to read the logo that was on the side of the white truck. It said Sea World. So then, of course, I wondered what was on the big 18-wheeler. I pulled up and saw ice flying out of several cages with sea lions in them!!

I must say, it was a very strange site. I pulled out my digital camera and my cellphone camera to document it. I was trying to stay beside the truck to watch the sea lions and take pictures but apparently, the drivers behind me weren't as enthralled with seeing sea animals riding down the road because I had to speed up to let some of them pass. But - I got another quick view as I pulled into the turn lane to turn on my street. Cool, eh?


UPDATE:
Being the news hound that I am -- I emailed the pictures to my station and they called Sea World to ask what was up. Turns out the sea lions came from upstate Washington. They were removed from their natural habitat because they were harming the salmon run -- and salmon are apparently endangered in Washington. So, as punishment for the crime of gluttony, they have been sentenced to a life of confinement. Just kidding -- but we were told that they were transferred from the National Marine Fish Zoo and that Sea World will now be a "haven" for them. I think we're going to do a story on them tomorrow. So locals -- tune in.

3 comments:

Buxton Family said...

Seriously, you have the craziest things happen to you. My kids are going to love this post, but be sad they weren't with you to experience it first hand.

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

So where is "upstate" Washington? I used to live in upstate New York...but I've never knew there was an "upstate" in Washington. ☺

I think it's something people down in Texas made up.

They never offered to let me watch the sea lions. I'd have given them a wading pool.

Nicole said...

I think you should have set them free...or at least brought them into work. They can do neat stuff, like clap. You know people who need a little applause now and then. I would have even picked up some fish for them. I'm just nice like that.