Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day! ( I Killed a Tree)

OK -- maybe I didn't kill it, but it's definitely dead. I've been in denial for a couple weeks. It had the start of little buds and I was hoping it was just a late bloomer. I watered and fertilized and talked to it - but I finally confirmed what I think I knew all along. It's dead. I'm really sad about it. I almost cried.

I planted four Bradford Pear trees four years ago. They were finally getting big and looking like real trees. (The first one in this picture is a Monterey Oak that I planted 2 years ago -- the Pear trees are the ones after that). I had the trees carefully spaced and staggered and now this ruins the whole effect. I am going to plant a new one but it will be a silly little runt compared to the others.

And now I want to know what killed it so it doesn't happen again. Maybe it's on a rock, or had somehow become root-bound, but until recently it was growing just fine. I did some CSIing and noticed several small holes. Maybe some insect killed it??? RUDE.

2 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

I got nothing for you except sadness. Your landscaping is pretty rockin' though. One dead tree in all of that isn't bad - really. I think I've killed everything I've ever planted.

Buxton Family said...

We are still very sad about your loss. Let me know if you want help digging it up and planting the new one.