Sunday, August 31, 2008

Out of the Mouth of Babes...

Kids say the darndest things -- but the fact is, they generally speak the truth. The raw, unfiltered truth. I have a friend whose 4-year-old daughter tends to embarrass her by saying blunt things to people about their physical appearance. She is just about the cutest, sweetest little girl you've ever seen. She is also EXTREMELY observant and makes mental notes about what people wear. She was disappointed one time because I was wearing the same earrings as the last time I'd seen her. Another time, she wanted her parents to call me and make sure I was going to wear something "cute" to dinner at their house. I am not using her name in this post because her mom is already mortified enough --but here is the conversation that took place at her house today. She was snuggled up next to me and I was reading her a book when all of a sudden she looked up at me and said:

Little Girl: You're big.
Me (not quite sure where she's going with this): Yes, I am.
LG: You're big. And we're not. None of us are big.
Me (ah, maybe she means tall ... her family is pretty tiny): Yep, that's right.
LG: You have a big bum. We don't.
Me (oh, that's where she's going with this): Well yes, that's true.
LG: Some people at church have big bums too.

This is the same darling little 4-year-old who asked me this a few weeks ago:

LG: Do you have kids?
Me: No.
LG: Are you married?
Me: No.
LG: You're just a girl, right?
Me: Yep, I'm just a girl.
LG: That's what I thought.

Yep, I'm just a girl with a really big bum.
I'm totally going running in the morning.

7 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

I'm laughing and crying. I think I'd duct tape my kid's mouth.

A few years ago during my less then happy weight years post one of my kids (not that I'm thin now, but I'm guessing I was about 30lbs heavier), one of my nieces kept going on about how I must be pregnant. She was totally convinced.

I think she was probably about 4 at the time.

Remind me to tell you how Squirrel catagorizes a couple of her relatives some time... again, it's the 4-5 year old crowd. they are brutal.

Barlow Fam said...

That is a riot. I just wonder what my kids will say. (Actually, what they've already said!)I once had a Sunbeam tell me her mom had hair on her bum. Yes, that sister has been around ever since, I just can't look at her the same way!

Tobi said...

Oh man that's harsh! My kids have started any of that yet. They only have strong opinions on what clothes they are going to wear that day.

Although my nephew Ian who is six thinks that my taste in shoes is less than stellar. Kids. It's a good thing they are so cute otherwise they would never make it to adulthood.

Buxton Family said...

I'm not sure what to say. Just remember their family has extra small bums...anyone has a big bum compared to their family! My mom says to tell you all hello.

Nicole said...

Kids and old folks get the pass on this. No matter how much it stings, all you can do is go "Mmmmhhhmmm."

Though, I have been known to tell kids, "Wait 'till you get older." And I have told my grandpa, "Yeah? Well, you're old." That doesn't bother him. He just smiles and says, "Yes, I am."

Filburt said...

You put her in her place, right?

Debbie said...

Kids are the greatest motivators, aren't they? They're just so blatently honest... That was just hilarious. Thanks for sharing.