Thursday, August 28, 2008

Uphill Battle

I've exercised 7 of the last 11 days. Are you proud of me? (If not, then hush ... I'm proud of myself.) Anyway, I was in a funk today. No need to send condolences --it's not a major funk and I'll get over it -- I think I have just been over-analyzing the sadness in the world and letting it weigh on me. But all afternoon I had the urge to go running to relieve my stress. Isn't that exciting?!? Despite a chaotic afternoon and stressful newscast, I didn't have the urge to go home, lay on the couch and eat ice cream -- I HAD THE URGE TO GO RUNNING. I feel quite satisfied about that.
I often start out my walks/jogs by walking up this hill by my house. It's only a little over a tenth of a mile but the top is pretty steep and it's a good way to warm up. The other day after I'd walked/ran for 45 minutes I decided to take the hill another time as fast as I could. Now, I must confess that my sprinting on this hill compares to the speed of an old lady walking the mall ... but still!

Here is a (blurry, sorry) picture so you can see where it get steep at the top:

Tonight, I didn't even start out walking like I usually do, I just ran up the hill - TWICE! and then I continued on the rest of my walk/jog. Right now this hill is kicking my butt - I am pretty much at a 10 on my exertion scale when I reach the top. But I am going to start timing myself so I can get faster and then one day I will dominate. One day I will conquer this hill.

8 comments:

Nicole said...

I'm proud of you! Did you take that picture while running? Because I'd be especially impressed!

Hil said...

You go girl!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Julie, I stumble across your blog and give it a looksie on occasion. My first boss in the Army ran the living daylights out of me every day for 6 months. He got transferred, and then I was "my own boss" for a couple months. Right after he left, I didn't run for almost two weeks, in protest of how much I hated running. At the end of those two weeks I realized that I loved running, I actually missed it. I liked how it made me feel. I completely understand how you can have a desire to run - especially hills! Welcome to the club! Don't stop running.

The Dragonfly said...

As the person who initiated our return to exercise you are rockin' it as an example and leader.

I on the other hand have an eye infection and drops every thirty minutes to use as my excuse - plus I just ate about ten peanut butter cookies. By myself.

You go girl!

Buxton Family said...

Good Job! We are very proud of you. I know the hill well. If you remember, I had shin splints for days just from walking up it. PS We miss you terribly. :(

The Cragun Family said...

Good Job Julie! Ava wants to know what earrings you're wearing? And if you have any gum.

Morgan said...

Way to go! You show that hill who's boss!

Debbie said...

That's awesome, Julie! I wish I had the urge to run more often. I hate to run, but I feel great after I've run a little while. And 7 out of 11 days, that's amazing. I think I maybe got 4 out of 11 and it was all yoga:)