Saturday, August 23, 2008

My Blind Date Wore High Heels

I went on another blind date this weekend ... my friend Nicki set me up. Yes, that's him wearing high heels. Could I possibly go out with any more freaks? Ha Ha! Just kidding. He wasn't really a freak. We made him try on Nicki's shoes when we discovered that they have the same size feet. Then I promised to embarrass him by putting the picture on my blog. And now I have.

It was a fun day. Eating, hiking, more eating and then Guitar Hero. We hiked Enchanted Rock near Fredericksburg. It's a batholith (underground rock formation uncovered by erosion) and it's apparently the second largest granite dome in the United States. (Just one of the many facts shared by my new high-heeled friend who also happens to work for Texas Parks and Wildlife. He also identified animal droppings, and let us know the scientific names of the plants and wildlife.)

Enchanted Rock:

And here is the view as we got close to the top. This is my friend Nicki with her husband Billy:
Climbing up was fun despite the fact that it felt like we were hiking in a sauna. It had just finished raining and it was in the 90's so basically the humidity was insane. I prefer to use the term "glistening" but others might say I was dripping in sweat.

Yea! We made it to the top:

My "creaky" knee was obnoxiously loud on the way down as a cruel reminder of how old I am (and how much older I was than my date). Thankfully, I wasn't as uncoordinated as the other day (see earlier post) and didn't injure myself. But Nicki's husband Billy has a fat ankle after twisting it by stepping off a rock into a hole. Ouch!

If I lived closer to Enchanted Rock, I could hike that a few times a week instead of going to the gym. Can I count this as one of my workouts this week? I didn't add it to my running tally, but I'm thinking about it.

Nicki loved the hike too :) and I loved spending the day with my friend Nicki! It's been way too long since we've hung out. In fact it's been more than a year!! Much too long.

Oh well, it was another fun Saturday spent avoiding chores at home! One day soon there will be another blog post about yard work. I have avoided it for far too long and I have many a weed to tend to. Until then, let the fun continue.

p.s.- I normally wouldn't blog about first dates. That seems creepy. But Nicki told him about my blog and he's expecting it -- so go ahead and give him a hard time about the heels.

5 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

I like that in the heels photo he's flexing his calf muscle quite impressively.
And yeah... i saw the first couple lines of your blog on my reader and thought, "OH MAN! She's surrounded by freaks!" But he actually looks quite normal (and dare I say cute? is that allowed when I know he's probably reading this?)
It looks like you had fun.
Now, when are you coming to see me?

Nicole said...

Points to High Heels Guy (which is what I will call him from now on) for being a good sport and not grabbing the camera from your hands and tossing it out the window! If he had worn them on the hike, that would have been especially impressive.

It looks like you had fun! I'm impressed you were still awake that late after such a long day. I would have passed out - then spent the next day on the sofa nursing my aches and pains.

Buxton Family said...

Sounds like a great time. I wish we could have joined you for the hike. We love hiking Enchanted Rock...oh wait, while you were hiking enchanted rock in the extreme humidity and heat, we were hiking through the huge pine trees in the Sierra Nevada Mountains - Donner's Pass to be exact.

Let high heeled guy (does he have a name?)know he has Wade's dream job. He wants to work in a state or national park someday. Does he get to ride a bike around the park? That would really make him jealous.

The Dragonfly said...

Cute shoes worn by a cute date . . . sounds like fun to me. Now if I could just get the Hubby to don some for my blog!

And yes, I absolutely count the rock climbing as one of your exercise days for the week.

Tobi said...

Will you being seeing High Heels guy again? He looks cute to me and he seems like a good sport. But only you can tell us if there was chemistry GRASSHOPPER!!