Monday, August 11, 2008

White House Mix Tape

Alright - after two tear-jerking posts, it's time to lighten things up. Blender Magazine recently asked Presidential Candidates, John McCain and Barack Obama to name their top ten favorite songs.

Here's what they said:

BARACK OBAMA
1. Ready or Not - Fugees
2. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
3. I'm On Fire - Bruce Spingsteen
4. Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones
5. Sinnerman - Nina Simone
6. Touch the Sky - Kanye West
7. You'd Be So Easy to Love - Frank Sinatra
8. Think - Aretha Franklin
9. City of Blinding Lights - U2
10. Yes We Can - will.i.am

JOHN McCAIN
1. Dancing Queen - ABBA
2. Blue Bayou - Roy Orbison
3. Take a Chance On Me - ABBA
4. If We Make It Through December - Merle Haggard
5. As Time Goes By - Dooley Wilson
6. Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys
7. What A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
8. I've Got You Under My Skin - Frank Sinatra
9. Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
10. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - The Platters

Don't worry, I'm not about to get political with this post. I'm just going to do some equal-opportunity mocking. I can't knock Obama's list too much because they are good songs. But I wonder how much consulting went into the process to make him appear "cool"?? Plus, he picked his own campaign song which is just dorky!! But speaking of dorky, McCain has two ABBA songs in his top ten!! Ha Ha Ha! Don't get me wrong. I love ABBA. But it's one of those guilty-pleasure kind of things. And MAN does McCain's list confirm the fact that he's old as dirt. Great songs. But they skew a little old. There isn't one song from the last three decades on that list.

But it got me thinking -- could I make a list of my top ten favorite songs? I'm not sure that I could. I DEFINITELY wouldn't be able to rank them. That would go against my very nature. I might be able to commit to some songs that I really, really like in no-particular order that wouldn't be all-inclusive and could be expanded and that I'm coming up with off the top of my head so I may be leaving some very important ones out. I could do that.

So here is THAT list:

· Come Downstairs and Say Hello - Guster
(It was hard to only pick one Guster song -- I could have easily said What You Wish For or Diane or Careful or Amsterdam or Fa Fa or Center of Attention ...etc, etc.)
· Awakening - Switchfoot
(Also Let that Be Enough or Stars or The Shadow Proves the Sunshine or Head over Heels)
· Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me - Mel Carter
· You Make Me Feel So Young - Frank Sinatra
· Just Like Heaven - The Cure
· Waiting For the Day/You Can't Always Get What You Want - George Michael
· Banana Pancakes - Jack Johnson
· If You Leave – OMD
· Graceland - Paul Simon
(Also Diamonds on the Souls of Her Shoes)
· Baby, Now That I've Found You - Alison Krauss
(Also I Will or In the Palm of Your Hand)
· Your Smiling Face - James Taylor
(Also Something in the Way She Moves)
· She's Got a Way - Billy Joel
· Not Myself - John Mayer
· Joey - Concrete Blonde

I have a hard time putting any song that has come out in the last several years to my list because what if it doesn't stand the test of time for me and I change my mind?? So, I'm sure I'll be thinking of others and this list will grow. (I know I am leaving some crucial ones out!)

But now I challenge you -- what are your favorite songs of all time? Make a list on your blog so I can read them.

5 comments:

Tobi said...

I must say you have a wide and diverse love of music. You've broadened my horizons. I just hope you don't hate me when I tell you that I had never heard of Guster before. Sorry about that...

Hil said...

Never heard of them either... Are they a local band? Great post!

Julie said...

1) I'm getting lots of flack for my list of favorite songs not rocking enough and not having enough soul because my taste tends to include both rock and soul. But I guess I was in a mellow mood when I picked those songs. I really do love them so I won't apologize for them -- I will just add others to the list at some point to reflect the full spectrum of my musical preferences.

2) Guster. Get on board people. I first came to love them on August 24, 2002 when I saw them on tour with John Mayer. The harmonies, the bongos -- they are AMAZING to see live. After the concert, I went online and ordered every CD they have. Since then, I've seen them in concert several more times. Amazing. If you want a little sample -- check out songs from LOST AND GONE FOREVER and KEEP IT TOGETHER first -- or get the GUSTER ON ICE CD/DVD to get an appreciation for their live performances. (The newer stuff has strayed a little from what they do best.) Go to Guster.com or check them out on itunes.

The Cragun Family said...

We made our top ten lists! We'll have to put them on our blog.

Sean said...

Ok. I like these kinds of lists. I believe it shows your personality. Unfortunately, I don't think I can come up with 10 favorites. I love different types of music so I will just give you a rundown of some of my favorites:

- "Baba O'Reily" by The Who. An absolute classic.
- "It's the End of the World as We Know It" by R.E.M. - This is the one R.E.M. song I can play over and over and over...
- "Beautiful Day" by U2 - The best song on that album and one of their best ever.
- "Nuthin But a G Thang" by Dr. Dre - Like I said. I like all kinds of music. This has to be the song that introduced hardcore rap to the mainstream.
- "Do the Evolution" by Pearl Jam - I will say that naming one PJ song is difficult for me since they are my favorite band. I could have easily selected "Alive", "Porch", "Rearviewmirror". The possibilities are endless. I selected this song because when I hear it live... it's just amazing.
- "Fix You" by Coldplay - I also like "The Scientist," but the way this song ends is what I love the most.
AND LAST... BUT NOT LEAST...
- "The Humpty Dance" by Digital Underground. Come On! Who does't love this song?!?!