Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Great Unloading

So, I've been in the mood to unload a lot of junk lately. I've been cleaning out every closet in the house and getting rid of all sorts of things. Like my collection of mix tapes:

Considering I don't even have a tape player that works in my house, I figured it was a good time to let those go. I also decided to organize all of my CDs. I had been keeping them in 3 separate places in the house. Some in their original cases, and very many of them out of their cases in various CD holders. Plus -- a couple hundred CD mixes and other burned CDs. I decided to get them all back in their cases and go through all of them to weed some of them out. It was a process that took me 4 hours. It was insane!

But here is the end result. All of them are in their cases in containers in my armoire:
Next, I tackled the guest room closet where I had tons of junk and pictures and scrapbook supplies and gift bags and rolls and rolls of wrapping paper. Now look how great it looks. All of my wrapping supplies are in boxes (one for Christmas, one for other occasions) and all my wrapping paper is together:
I got rid of a lot of clothes and shoes from my closet and now it's also looking all lean and mean:
Then I hauled all of my old junk to the Buxton's house for a garage sale on Saturday. We sold SO much stuff. This picture was right toward the end when most everything was gone.
(Notice Wade with his nice man bag, AKA "murse")
They sold a table and chairs and a washer and dryer and tons and tons of toys including dozens of horses from Aubrey's collection.
The girls made bank! They literally made as much money EACH as I did for all of my stuff. Unfortunately only one person bought one of my tapes even though they were only 25 cents and I had some good stuff!! I can't believe nobody wanted vintage tapes from the 80's. I'm talking Madonna, Rick Astley, Barry Manilow!! What is wrong with people? Don't they recognize a good bargain when they see one? I didn't sell as many CDs as I'd hoped either. Or clothes. It's kind of a funny feeling when people are picking through the clothes that you've warn in very recent months and deciding they're not even worth a dollar. Rude. But my FAVORITE customer of the day was a little Asian man who tried on my shoes. He even tried on a pair with a heel on them. He said he didn't care if they were men or women's shoes as long as they were comfortable. He ended up buying a pair from me. It was awesome! Before the garage sale I said that if I sold 50 dollars worth of stuff that I would go buy a new ipod Nano. And when I counted the cash afterward, it was a few cents over 50 dollars. How is that for fate?

2 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

How funny is that? You were unloading your mix tapes just as I was memorializing them? Actually its kind of sad too. ☻

Tobi said...

An Asian man bought your shoes? That is beyond bizarre!

I'm glad you got an iPod!