Sunday, June 1, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me

It seems a little self-centered to blog about my birthday. Oh well. I have to write an official rebuttal to Shar's Birthday Blog.

I had a good birthday. The Buxton family made Spaghettaay (top secret recipe, delicious variation of spaghetti) and invited my mom and brother and the Brackenbury family over for dinner. My mom made a fantastic mint chocolate chip ice cream cake. Everything was DELICIOUS! I have great friends and family.

Speaking of friends ... my friend, Shar, has lived far, far away for years now. But she still managed to dig up some old pictures and post them on the Internet to commemorate my birthday. That was a good trip down memory lane and it got me thinking about what has changed and what hasn't over the years. The following will only make sense if you have read Shar's blog:
  • I still love football but I don't watch very much of it at all. Especially NFL. Shar, you would be shocked at how little I watch football and how very little I know about who is playing these days. And people who know me now would probably be shocked that I was ever fixated on football.

  • I still love Elvis. But only young, fit Elvis, NOT fat, old sweaty Elvis. I mean, I don't LOVE Elvis. I don't have memorabilia around the house or anything. I did sell a couple Elvis knick knacks (that I bought at Graceland years ago) at the garage sale. They've been in a box since I bought them. So please don't send me anything Elvis-related.

  • I do love beauty products. I do still get the front of my shirt wet when I wash my face although now I just wash my face shirtless. (scandalous!)

  • I still LOVE music. I have an insatiable desire for new music. If you want to make me SUPER happy you can burn me a CD of good music. Oh and itunes giftcards ROCK my world. (But I rarely listen to country anymore)

  • Shar says I'm photogenic. I've been told that on several occasions. Here's how I translate that: "You look really good in pictures considering that you aren't that cute in real life."

  • BTW- I was on DANCE team in high school, not drill team and Norah was a cheerleader.

  • I did make up the Spice Girls costumes! One of my rare creative moments. I think I actually came up with that idea in my sleep.

  • Shar brought up my athleticism. Ha. That's funny. I'm so old and out of shape.

  • And finally, my handstands. A coworker and I were just talking about that the other day because that was a stress-relieving mechanism that I continued up until several years ago. (I would even do them at work -- out of site from my boss, of course.) I miss those days. That is my goal for the year. I'm going to bring that tradition back. In fact, I may go try one before bed. (Tomorrow I might be blogging about my broken arms and cracked skull.) By the way -- that outfit I was wearing, ROCKED. Nothing says "style" like rolled up brown pants and a jungle t-shirt. AWESOME. (It was 1992 people! ... give me a break!)

7 comments:

Adam said...

Happy Birthday

Nicole said...

Here's what I love about Julie:

-she's rarely cranky and can almost always find a brighter side to things
-she loves TV as much as I do (we watch a lot of the same shows - even the ones people our age probably shouldn't)
-she gets excited when I bring her magazines or CDs
-she loathes 3:00 as much as I do
-she's the "human jukebox!" I love that it sometimes takes just one word and she'll break out into song. It's like Tourettes - only musical! (And I mean that in a GOOD way. No offense to people who actually have it!)

I'm sure there are other things I have left off the list, but that's what I think of first. Oh, and Julie, I'm just waiting for the delivery dude to show up with your present!

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

There really is a present in the mail. And hopefully it'll start to make up for some of the less than stellar mailbox incidents of the past. I swear I've repented. ☺ I'm just glad to know that you haven't changed all that much. It seems from the comments that you are basically the same person (which I knew you were), which is extra funny because first I found the photos and then I made the captions up as I went along. You are so fun to describe! And so easy!!
And no, the photogenic thing has NOTHING to do with not being cute in real like - it has everything to do with something I am VERY jealous of because I can't seem to take a good picture to save my life. I wish I had your ability.

Julie said...

Wow. The niceness is overwhelming. It's my birthday people, not my funeral! But now that the birthday has passed, you can make fun of me again. :)

jayme said...

happy birthday julie!

Hil said...

Happy Birthday! Fun to read Shar's blog and your rebuttal. :)

Tobi said...

Sounds like you had a fun birthday. I think your cute too so just deal. You are..it's true! You too can believe!!