Friday, June 20, 2008

Songs of Summer

Even though we've had summer-like temperatures for months here in Texas, SUMMER officially starts tonight. In an ideal world I would spend my summer boating at the lake, reading by the pool, going to the movies and having barbecues. Unfortunately, it's not an ideal world, and I have to work all summer. But I still love to get in that "summer" mood, and of course for me, that means music. So here are my submissions for the Soundtrack of Summer:
  • Viva La Vida Coldplay
  • Underneath Alanis Morissette
  • In Love With a Girl Gavin DeGraw
  • Lucky Jason Mraz (featuring Colbie Caillat)
  • Love Remains the Same Gavin Rossdale
  • I Will Possess Your Heart Death Cab for Cutie
  • No One's Gonna Love You Band of Horses
  • Pork and Beans Weezer
  • Feels Like Tonight Daughtry
  • Resurrect Me Jon Foreman
  • Mercy Duffy
  • Whose Authority Nada Surf
  • Tessellate Tokyo Police Club
  • A-Punk Vampire Weekend
I could go through each of these songs individually and tell you what I like about each of them, but I'll spare you that analysis. I will, however, offer the following disclaimers: Yes, a couple of these songs have been out for months but I just can't get enough of them right now (i.e. Band of Horses- LOVING them). And while I am not normally an Alanis fan, I do like her new song for some reason.

As for overall Best Summer Albums, I think that designation will go to Coldplay and Death Cab. I am loving both right now! I reserve the right to add to this list as the summer progresses. For one thing, I can't believe there isn't a good hip-hop song that I am diggin' on -- but there just isn't.

Now tell me what your favorite songs are right now!

7 comments:

Nicole said...

The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name should be on your list!

http://www.myspace.com/thetingtings

Tobi said...

It's Not My Time- 3 Doors Down
Shut Up and Let Me Go- The Ting Tings
Fall For You- Secondhand Serenade

I'm digging the summer songs list. Keep adding. I'm in need of some new tuneage.

Tobi said...

One more thing. You can player with all these songs on your blog. Go to playlist.com and register for a free account. Just a suggestion to enhance the summer jamz.

The Dragonfly said...

I'm actually feeling totally excited that I knew and like six of the songs on your list! Right now I am totally digging on the new Coldplay!

Julie said...

I DO like the Ting Tings! Fun stuff. As far as the jukeboxes on the blogs - I don't like them because they always restart the song when you go back to the main page and it's too loud and distracting, blah blah blah. Anyway -- I'll just post the songs I like and people can check them out if they want to. Eh? But keep telling me what you like because it makes me happy to get new music!

Anonymous said...

Coldplay is probably the album of the summer. Although it's different from their previous stuff, it is excellent. If you want an old skool song on your list, you would have to add "Summertime" by Fresh Prince aka Will Smith. A must.

Filburt said...

At first I saw, Livin La Vida Loca instead of Viva La Vida. Glad that was a mistake!