Saturday, February 28, 2009

MILEStone for Me

You probably can't decipher what that display says, so I'll just tell you. It says 8 miles. Woo Hoo! That's what I did on my Saturday morning run in the park. I'm so proud of myself. Now, for some of you, that may be no big deal, but for me, it's amazing. And I've got to give a shout-out here because I was inspired by my neighbor, running partner, and friend, Kristen. We've been running together several days a week for a few months. Our route is 3.2 miles. I feel good about that and we've gotten faster and it's gotten easier. But in NO WAY am I in great shape. I huff and puff my way through it. Kristen (who has six kids, by the way and is still nursing her youngest baby) recently decided to do a 1/2 marathon and has been stepping up her training in the past couple weeks. So while Kristen was running her 1/2 marathon in Dallas this morning, I thought I'd get up and try to go 1/2 that distance (6.6 miles) as a show of solidarity. I ran 4.6 miles of the first 6.6 and then decided I'd go a little bit further for an even 8. Don't get me wrong -- I was no speed demon. (As I was walking part of my last mile I was passed up by an old man wearing khakis and a sweater and walking 2 dogs.)But I made it! I was exhausted at the end. My legs were so tired and that made me even more in awe of Kristen knowing that she did 5 more miles than I did! And she ran it at a faster pace-per-mile. Amazing. So here's my public congratulations to her!
Kristen, YOU ROCK!

8 comments:

Angie said...

Way to go on the training! Mine sucks. I may keel over on that race in April.

I spent the morning at a joint county library meeting. Loads o' fun.

Buxton Family said...

Awesome job to both of you! I'm so proud of you both. Keep up the good work.

The Cragun Family said...

8 Miles! That is awesome, I think I would die on the trail! Way to go Julie!

Nicole said...

Way to go, Julie! Can you walk today?

Karen Buxton said...

Go Julie! My 8 mile run was the moment during training that I discovered that running doesn't have to be all pain, misery and torture. That's how I felt about it up until then. 8 was the magic number for me, and then it became somewhat enjoyable. Some friends and I are talking about running the Zuma half on April 4th. You should consider joining us. It would be great fun!

marlamuppets said...

you are so lucky to have a runner friend! way to go on your 8 miles! wish i lived closer and wish i could actually run OUTSIDE -- sounds lovely. :)

Missy in Texas said...

Yeah Julie!!!! That is so awesome. I remeber the first and only time I ran 8 miles. It felt so great and I finally understood what all the running "hype" is about. Where have you been running? I want to come along.

behka said...

Nice work on the 8 miler! I love visiting your blog to see what you have been up to. Thanks for letting me peek in. 8 miles sounds EXHAUSTING!