Friday, July 4, 2008

Fireworks and Freedom

I've always loved this holiday. It symbolizes freedom, family, friends, fun and fireworks! Fantastic. However, the reality of the last few July 4th's haven't quite lived up to the romantic ideal I have in my memories. (Holidays tend to lose their luster when you have to work.) But I refuse to let my employment or a fireworks ban stand in the way of my Independence Day!

The (working) holiday started with an early morning pancake breakfast at church. I had a great opportunity this week to read the life story of a World War II vet in my congregation. I was given an assignment to set up a little display and create a handout with facts about his life. He was a tail gunner in a B-26 bomber and has some amazing stories about the Battle of the Bulge. It added some meaning to my July 4th as I reflected on the sacrifices of our servicemen and women. I have many friends who currently serve our country and to them I say, THANK YOU!!

Not to get all serious on you, but I read a great quote this week about patriotism and the price of freedom. It was penned in the year of the birth of our nation and it is as applicable as ever 232 years later:

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country, but he that stands it now deserves the love and thanks of a man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly."
"The American Crisis" by Thomas Paine, December 23, 1776
Alright, that's enough of the soberness -- now, onto the celebration. A few of my coworkers and I displayed our American pride by popping some "fireworks" on our lunch break. Don't worry, these were the legal (lame) kind. We had a huge box of poppers and other confetti-spewing noise makers and we littered the parking lot in our revelry.
Whoo hoo!!!!
Another reason I love this holiday is because it is my brother Brad's birthday. For years he thought the nation celebrated his birth, and the heritage has made him somewhat of a pyromaniac. Here's a picture of the birthday boy: For his entire life, I've called him "Baby Brad". But now he is all grown up and 26 years old today.
Happy Birthday Brad!

5 comments:

Joel said...

I'm sorry you had to work. I'm glad you had a safe 4th of July. I love the quote by Thomas Paine.

Joel said...

whoops! Tobi left the above comment. I didn't know I was signed into his account.

The Dragonfly said...

Glad you had a happy 4th Julie! We're busy running Shar and her kids around, all of us with dark circles under our eyes from too much fun and not enough sleep! I'll post pictures when I get a second.

Filburt said...

Thanks for including the 12:30 producer in the fireworks display!

Julie said...

Well, 12:30 producer ... we would have included you but you were producing the 12:30. Duh.