Sunday, November 30, 2008

Black Friday

I spent "Black Friday" at home in my pj's, sniffling and coughing and wondering what good deals I was missing out on. I browsed all of the ads and found lots of stuff I'd want, but not much I could afford. So I balanced my checkbook to unequivocally confirm that I was indeed doing the right thing by staying home.

With the money I saved on "Black Friday" I decided to go shopping on Saturday! :) I didn't have much to spend, but there were a couple good deals I really had to take advantage of. And like all good deals -- that means I bought a few things that I didn't really NEED, but I saved money doing it.

For instance -- I completed my set of the Gilmore Girls series. I had all but a few seasons and they were on sale for $14.99 (Down from $48.99). Did I NEED them? No. But it was a good deal. (If any of you haven't seen the series but are the least bit interested, I would gladly lend them out. My friend, Karen, got me hooked a couple of years ago and I joined Netflix that summer just to catch up with the series. It's very cute and very addicting.)

This is my other VERY COOL purchase:Not the ipod -- I had that -- but the little bitty speaker. This was on sale at Brookstone for $19.99 (down from $35). I can't believe how good the sound is from this little thing. I mean, it's no Bose -- but it's decent! It runs on double-A batteries and so you can just carry it around from room to room. I love it!

In full disclosure, there may have also been another purchase -- a pricey hair-styling tool that was rated #1 by Consumer Reports. I realize that you can buy a 20-dollar blowdryer -- and that's always what I've purchased in the past -- but this Chi dryer has been beckoning me to take it home. Until now, I've ignored its siren's song. But the stars aligned and I felt it must be fate. Judge for yourself:
  • A knob broke off of my blowdryer.
  • I saw an ad that it was on sale for $40 off this weekend.
  • I received a coupon in the mail that would make it another 20% off the sale price.
  • We ran a Consumer Reports story this week on the best hair dryers and this very model was ranked #1.

Justification OR Justified? You be the judge. I'll let you know if it's as fabulous as the reviews say it is.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Can't wait to see your hair!

Angie said...

I would agree. Good hair tools are worth the expense. And they do make a difference.

I never really watched GG the first time around but enjoy the reruns when I catch them. I still remember the first holiday season I taught at Madison. I had a girl come back from the restroom about ready to have a fit because she'd seen Jared Padelecki in hall (he was back visiting a teacher). I'd never heard of him and they said "don't you watch Gilmore Girls"? So one of these days I will have to catch up on all the story I missed. Like I liked Lauralei (no idea how to spell that) and Luke together.

Tobi said...

I love Gilmore Girls too!! I also own all seven seasons.

Let us know how the totally awesome Chi hair dryer works.

Buxton Family said...

I never did borrow your Gilmore Girls. Maybe someday....