Sunday, October 5, 2008

She's Crafty

(I know, I know ... Two posts. One day.
Don't hurt yourself muddling through it all.)
Crafts make me angry.
I'm not proud of that fact. It's just the truth so I'm putting it out there. I realized this a few years ago after a maddening craft-related experience. The problem is that when it comes to crafts I am a perfectionist and at the same time I am very impatient. These two personality traits don't mix well. Nevertheless, I participate every year in our craft night at church. In years past I have signed up for WAY too many things. I always end up half-way finishing each thing and then leaving totally frustrated. These crafts end up in a box, stored in a closet, never to be completed. This year, I thought I was being mature by signing up only for one craft. I was determined to have a positive craft experience.

Here are a couple examples of what I wanted to make -- they are decoupaged picture of Christ:

Pretty cool, right? Here's what I left with. Two boards that look like this:
Apparently, there was some sort of miscommunication. I thought the pictures would be provided. While there were a few pictures to choose from, by the time I started my project they had all been picked over. Most people were smart and brought their own. I had nothing. So that's what I accomplished on craft night. I painted two small boards black. woo hoo.

Oh and I did make this for my friend Ami who was going to come but couldn't make it:

Craft night did not satiate my once-a-year compulsion to craft so the next day I took on a few projects around the house. First, I decided to paint a few planters for some fall flowers I purchased.

And then, since I had the painting bug, I decided to tackle a small bookcase that the Buxtons gifted me when they moved.

BEFORE: AFTER:
(Obviously, I haven't put anything on it yet.)

And I wasn't done, yet. Next, I moved to the front porch where I finally planted the topiary that Jodie and Ami gave me when my grandmother died. Then I planted some mums and decorated the porch with some Fall flair.

And now, I am officially crafted out.

Until next year!

6 comments:

Tobi said...

I love the sprucing and the painting of the shelf. By the way your living room is beautiful.

I'm also craft challenged. I always sign up for the church projects too but mine never quite turn out the way they were intended.

Buxton Family said...

You finished Ava's craft and it looks darling. I loved all the painting you did and your porch decorations. Super cute. As far as the first craft...count your loses and chuck the board. Then you never have to be reminded of it again!

The Dragonfly said...

For someone who claims to not be crafty, or a decorator, you got a ton done, it all turned out darling and I am just ready to come settle in to your living room for a chick flick and chatting all night long! Also, you have some very cool pumpkin action going on there on your porch. Way to go JG!

Nicole said...

You ARE crafty! Everything looks cute!

I always have grand plans of taking on crafts and I usually get as far as buying the stuff, then I lose my motivation or I mess it up.

I'm so afraid to put pumpkins out! All it takes is one naughty kid to grab it and smash it, then you have to clean up the pumpkin guts! Ick!

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Oh I must disagree with the statement of done-ness. Super Saturday when you are here dude!

Although, it's low key. No big stress or anything. But still - CRAFTY! ☺

And yes, you are crafty. I have some of your crafts hanging in my own house!

Morgan said...

Nice work! I am with Jodie on chucking the board!