Sunday, September 28, 2008

Happy Birthday Chandy! (sorry for the lame party)

Andy & Chade (a.k.a. "Chandy") both turned 30 this week. For months, I've been thinking about how to celebrate this momentous occasion. I knew it needed to be something special. After all, they are two of my best friends, we've been friends for years, and 30 is a big deal. Plus, they helped carry out a surprise party for me when I turned 30 err ... I mean 25.

So I called them up and said "Are you ready to party?!!" Ok, not really. The actual conversation went more like this:

Me: What do you have planned for your birthday tomorrow?
Chandy: Nothing. Our employees already threw us a huge surprise party. It was awesome.
Me: But we have to celebrate! You're turning 30! What do you want to do?
Chandy: Why don't you make that delicious dessert for us?
Me: Errgg. Ok, I guess. Then I suppose I should make dinner for you too?
Chandy: Sure.
Me to myself: (Dang it. Now I have to figure out something good to make.)

So what dish just screams "special celebration"?
Chicken and broccoli casserole of course.

Fine. I admit it's a lame birthday dinner -- but I've been sick and I was feeling tired and lazy. And for whatever reason, I was craving the casserole and I thought it would be delicious with rotisserie chicken. Unfortunately, the store had sold out of their freshly-made rotisserie chicken, so I had to use plain old chicken breasts. Lame. But I was proud of myself because everything was on the table and ready to go when they got here. Before I dished it out, I decided to make sure the rice had cooked. Good thing I did. I took a bite and crunch, crunch, crunch. CRAP! Apparently, and hour-and-a-half wasn't long enough to cook the long grain rice. In fact, it needed an additional hour to cook. We ended up eating nearly 2 hours after the time I told them to be here.

Woo hooo! Happy 30th!

Let's get all crazy and eat a dry, chicken casserole!

Thankfully, I talked my mom into making the dessert they wanted so at least they had that to look forward to. She brought it over and ended up staying for dinner. So it was Andy, Chade, my mom and me. I'm telling you, this party was off the chain. It was crunk. It was all crazy up in here.

(What do you think they're wishing for? I bet they're wishing for a cooler party next year.)

5 comments:

The Cragun Family said...

You are an awesome friend and they better be wishing for 20 more friends just like you! By the way, can I get that recipe, you made it sound ever so appealing!

Tobi said...

Your blog always makes me laugh. It makes me hungry for casserole too!

I hope you feel better before your big departure.

Andy said...

Actually, I forgot to wish.....where is my mind going - I'm getting old.

Buxton Family said...

Your parties are always a good time. We miss Andy and Chade as well as the Gill ladies. As you already know, Rachel and Aubrey would have loved the dinner...Wade would have complained about it stinking up your house. You are a great friend. Wish Chandy a Happy 30th from the Buxtons.

Karen Buxton said...

It's been a while since I last checked your blog, and, as always, you crack me up. The whole casserole ordeal reminded me again why I don't like to entertain. Even the things that I've made a hundred times refuse to work right just because I've got guests. Alas.
I really liked the necklace hanger idea.