Sunday, December 14, 2008

My Christmas Mix For You

THANK YOU for all who have sent me Christmas cards. I love getting them! I'm sorry that I am a bad friend and don't reciprocate. (HOWEVER - I may blog my Christmas Card this year, so stay tuned for that.)

I'm better at Christmas Mix CDs than Christmas cards. Most of my friends who have lived in the same city as me have been the recipient of one or two in Christmases past. I have a LOT of Christmas music (as most of us Christmas-lovers do). So I thought I'd spread some Christmas cheer by sharing my favorite (and not-so-favorite) Christmas songs.

First, I must say that it's a Crooners' Christmas for me. I'm all about Frankie, Dean, and Bing. There's just something romantic about their renditions that transport me to a winter wonderland. (I also love Ella Fitzgerald, Perry Como and Nat King Cole) So, unless I specifically list another artist, just know that I prefer the classics on these when available.

Let's start with the reason for the season.
Category: RELIGIOUS
  • I Wonder as I Wander
  • O Holy Night
  • Who Would Imagine a King
  • It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
  • What Child is This?

Category: PROBABLY MY FAVORITE CHRISTMAS SONG OF ALL TIME

  • Christmas Waltz (Frosted window panes, candles gleaming inside ...)

Category: SONGS FOR GETTING IN A HAPPY, HOLIDAY MOOD

  • It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
  • I’ll Be Home for Christmas
  • Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
  • Winter Wonderland
  • Home for the Holidays (Perry Como)
  • Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow
  • Baby, It’s Cold Outside (It's a draw as far as the Dean Martin or Johnny Mercer & Margaret Whitling versions)
  • Cool Yule (Louis Armstrong)
  • Zat You, Santa Claus? (Louis Armstrong)
  • A Holly Jolly Christmas (Burl Ives, of course!)
  • I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm (Dean Martin)
  • A Marshmallow World (Bing Crosby) (This one ranks VERY high.)
  • The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

And just for fun, let's add a few more categories.

Category: CHRISTMAS-TIME MAKES YOU WANT TO BE IN A RELATIONSHIP.

  • All I Want for Christmas is You (One of the only Mariah songs I really like)
  • Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) (U2)
  • I’d Like You for Christmas (Julie London)
  • What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve

Category: IF YOU’RE NOT FEELING JOLLY, HOW ABOUT SOMETHING MELANCHOLY?

  • Hard Candy Christmas (Dolly Parton)
  • Where Are You Christmas? (Faith Hill)
  • When My Heart Finds Christmas (Harry Connick, Jr.)

Category: DOES ANYONE ELSE FIND THE WHOLE PREMISE OF THIS SONG DISTURBING?

  • I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

Category: I REALIZE THESE ARE SOME PEOPLE'S FAVORITES BUT I'M TIRED OF THEM AND PREFER NOT TO HEAR VERY MUCH OF THEM DURING THE HOLIDAYS.

  • Rudolph
  • Silent Night
  • Jingle Bells
  • 12 Days of Christmas

Category: NEVER WANT TO HEAR AGAIN. IT MAKES MY EARS BLEED.

  • Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

Okay, there's my list. Now tell me your favorite Christmas song(s).

7 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

You are the best mix-maker ever.

All I know is this...

Josh Groban's "I'll be home for Christmas" should not be played on the radio because it makes for embarrassing moments for me. And we all know I don't like those.

The Dragonfly said...

I'll second Anderson's take on Groban's "I'll Be Home" and when I hear it, I am thinking of the exact same person she is.

Also - best inside joke Christmas song: Wham! Last Christmas.

Right now I am totally digging the newest MoTab Christmas CD "Rejoice and Be Merry!" with the King Singers. I'm alternating that with the Twilight soundtrack, which may not be Christmassy at all, but is still a gift and ROCKS!

Angie said...

Should've been at said ward party I posted about. The Texas 12 Days of Christmas kind of made my ears bleed. All done in good spirit, of course.

AIWFCIY is the only Mariah Carey song I even tolerate at all.

I did a post on this topic last year.
http://theotherskywalker.blogspot.com/2007/11/favorite-christmas-tunes.html
One day I will look up the proper coding so links in comments don't look ugly. But that day is not today.

Tobi said...

Can I have a personally mixed Christmas CD by Julie?? That sounds awesome!!

Also my one of my favorites is Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt!! I just love that sultry voice telling Santa to give her all the goodies for Christmas.

Buxton Family said...

I love your Christmas Mixes! The only "Twelve Days of Christmas" I like is by Relient K. "What's a partridge and what’s a pear tree? Well I don’t know so please don’t ask me. But I can bet those are terrible gifts to get." It always crack me up! I also love Sara McLachlan's Wintersong album.

dt said...

Tied for first:
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)- Darlene Love
Please Come Home Christmas - The Eagles
Great vocals on both songs
*These are NOT the same song

Close runner up:
(It must have been ‘ol) Santa Claus- Harry Connick
Happy Ho Ho Ho to you

Twelve Days of Christmas- Bob and Doug McKenzie
I like the “Mystery Days” best

Too good to list them all:
Anything by Der Bingle, Dean, The Chairman, Nat King

Karen Buxton said...

Amen! I love the crooners. Any chance that the meanies ever brought your decorations back?