Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

Here's my obligatory shout-out to all the moms.

Happy Day to you.

My blog-post from last year about my mom is still applicable.

The CUTEST thing EVER happened at church today. After sacrament meeting, my friend Amy walked up to me with her 8-year-old son, Henry. Amy had a sort of puzzled and amused expression on her face as she told me that Henry wanted to ask me something. Then, Henry invited me to dinner at their house. I told him that he was very thoughtful to ask, but I had to take a raincheck because I had already planned to have my mother over for a Mother's Day dinner at my house. After he went to his primary class, Amy explained to me that he had come up with the plan on his own during church and (randomly) asked permission to invite me.

Fast forward to the end of church when all the kids came rushing into the Relief Society room to give their moms the cute Mother's Day pins they made for them. Here comes Amy and Henry again. This time Henry hands me a pin he made for me that says in cute little 8-year-old boy handwriting, "Your the best". How sweet is that?! Amy whispered to me that she wasn't sure what sparked Henry's sudden interest in me but we both agreed that it was about the cutest thing ever.

The funny thing is that I don't have much interaction with Henry. I'm not sure if I've really even spoken to him in the past few months. But on this Mother's Day, something sparked in him to do something nice for me. Maybe he's had a lesson recently in church or at home about being nice to the older, single ladies. Ha ha. Who knows? But it got me thinking ... sometimes people say they don't want to be a "charity" case. We know from the scriptures that charity is the pure love of Christ. It was clear that Henry was feeling Christ-like today and I feel blessed and honored to have been his charity case.

3 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Well, that only makes me cry just a little bit. What a good kid. And Happy Mother's Day. While you may not have produced your own spawn yet, you certainly influence all of the kids around you with your love and example. I know you have done so with mine. And in my book, that means you deserve a Happy Mother's Day.

Buxton Family said...

What a sweet little boy. I just love the Livingstones! They are such a great family. You'll have to cash in on the raincheck because she is a great cook as well!

Erika said...

okay - I had a good catch up. The snake is SCARRY - you could have died. And where am I supposed to stay when I come visit you now that you don't have a guest room... Finally - little Henry is priceless... that's the best story. tooo sweet.